Friday, May 29, 2009

Dawson's Seminary Graduation






Dawson graduated from Seminary on May 17, 2009, a Sunday evening. Since I've been in the Stake Young Women, I've planned these graduations and typed up the program for four years. It was fun to have Dawson graduate and be a part of it. Because he has served as Seminary Council President this year, he was asked by Pres. Davies to conduct. He wore his $15.00 DI suit that we had bought for his Sterling Scholar interview. He looked very handsome, and very much like a missionary (six months to go!) I bought him a Captain Moroni gold tie from Deseret Book for graduation which he wore. That will also work for his mission.

Many of his friends took part in the program sharing testimonies and performing musical numbers. It was a great night. Because I work with the stake youth, I really felt like I knew most of the graduates. What a great class!

Brother Seth King, who has been the Seminary Council advisor, shared some great advice with the graduates and I loved Pres. Marshall Topham's talk in accepting the graduates. He told the students that they will be asked many times in the next week or so "What are you going to be when you grow up?" He said that instead of answering with a noun, such as a nurse, a teacher, a fireman, etc., to answer with an adjective. I am going to be happy, successful, a person of integrity, a life long learner, etc. I loved this advice. Really, that is what counts most. We may be a successful Doctor or a rich lawyer, but what really makes the most difference in our lives is if we are happy! I actually shared this advice with students at Millcreek at the May student awards. Great advice! I hope that whatever we are, we are happy with who we are or are becoming.


No comments: